Wednesday, January 14, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!


Today is the birthday of one of the greatest men in the world.......my DAD! I have never known a more kind, unselfish, giving and loving man than him. He has always put others before himself and his family if probably the most important thing to him.

My sister Kris, brother Shane and I with our parents in front of our childhood home right after they sold it and moved South :(

My Dad's greatest accomplishment and what he is the most proud of, his family


When I was growing up he worked for Kennecott Copper and worked graveyard shift. He would always leave for work after we were in bed and as we were eating breakfast he would come home and go to bed while we were at school. He was always home when we got home and working on some kind of project. He did many remodels on our home and did most of the work himself. He took pride in his home and especially his yard, and they both always looked fantastic. There were times I would leave for school with my bedroom walls one color and come home to find them another color. When I got in high school and learned how to drive, it was him who took me out practicing and was so patient (most of the time :)) with me. He also would have my car warmed up and snow/ice scraped from the windows before I went to school in the morning.

My Daddy and me learning how to ride a motorcycle


He is the best "Papa" any grandchild could ever want. He loves to be with his grandkids and makes visits with him so much fun. Kylie reminded me this morning that one of her favorite things she looked forward to while visiting them was eating "Papa Soulie" for breakfast. (Soulie is what we have always called cereal in our family) To this day we still call Frosted Mini Wheats, "Papa Soulie".

Papa with Kylie on the left and Carson on the right

Papa, Bryson, Jordan, Kylie and Brady

Papa had a marshmellow roast for the grandkids in his backyard the last time we were all down South

I don't have pictures to show of some of my finest memories with him but I am going to list a few in writing:

1. The look on my Dad's face when we finally reached the car in the parking lot of Pearl Harbor in an absolute typhoon. Water was literally dripping from his nose, chin, ears and eyelashes. We were laughing hysterically and as wet as if we had jumped in the ocean with our clothes on.

2. When I was a Senior in high school and had come home for lunch break while he was sleeping from working graveyard and me walking up the stairs from the basement after finishing my lunch, only to find my Dad in his garment top and jeans at the front door with police at the door and surrounding the house with guns drawn. Apparently my Dad mistook me for a burglar and called the police. (Our house had been burglarized several times leading up to this and he thought the thieves had come back for more)

3. While working at Kennecott when the company would go on strikes, he would do a side job cleaning the Visitors Center on Temple Square. I thought it was so awesome when he let me go with him and clean during the night, this too was graveyard.

4. While eating dinner at a really fancy restaurant in Hawaii to celebrate me and Mark's temple sealing, his front tooth falling out and him having fun with that and embarrasing us and himself by acting like we really shouldn't be eating at a place like that looking poor and toothless.


I am so glad I have a Dad who is perfect in my eyes. He honors his Priesthood and works in the temple two days a week. He still goes out of his way to make sure his family is taken care of and happy. What a wonderful Daddy I have!!

I have always been so proud of the fact that my Dad has always taken such good care of himself. He and my Mom have been nicknamed "Barbie and Ken" by their friends. At high school reunions they always win the awards for the most unchanged or youngest looking. Way to go Mom and Dad!! :)


HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD/PAPA!!

4 comments:

Dawna said...

I love the police story during your high school lunch period. That is a classic! You have a pretty awesome dad :)

Elyse said...

Happy birthday papa :)
I'm so happy Will gets to have such an awesome great granddad. He's an great man and I've loved getting to know him

Rochelle said...

I can totally see the resemblence in the two of you!

Kortney said...

Happy Birthday Papa!! You are the best Papa anyone could ever ask for!!! Love you so much!!