Monday, October 6, 2008

General Conference

How wonderful it was to listen to conference this past weekend. Mark was home and that made it even more wonderful. This year I was especially interested in hearing any message that would be uplifting about the recent events with our economy and how this would effect us as Latter Day Saints. Although we've been warned over and over about having a years worth of food storage and adequate finances put away, I was still looking for counsel on the recent events. Yes, several talks mentioned the economic hardships we are facing today, but Sunday mornings talk by President Monson was the talk that really moved me and inspired me even though it had nothing to do with what I was looking to find or hear. In his talk he stated, "This is our one and only chance at mortal life - here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization it is brief. Don't let the most important things pass while dreaming of an illusive future based on time to fulfill leisurely pursuits. Instead, find joy in the journey - now." He went on to say, "Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey and share our love with friends and family. One day, each of us will run out of tomorrows."


I am so guilty at looking at my "tomorrows" and have a hard time with my "today". I've found that I don't have that many todays left with my children at home and how quickly the last 17-years have passed since Kylie was born. I don't like to focus on the disappointments and regret a lot of her upbringing but I think any parent on the threshold of their oldest child graduating high school and leaving home wishes they could of changed some things, and in my case I think a lot of things. I've often apologized to Kylie for her crazy flaky mother, especially during my divorced/single years. How greatful I am to her for telling me she wouldn't change a thing about me, even though she maybe just doesn't want to hurt my feelings with the truth :)


I have found that the last six years with having as many as all eight children living at home at a time, I was looking more to the future - for the number at home to decrease and make life a little easier. I thought that tomorrow held a time where I would be more at ease and more comfortable with all the change that had taken place since Mark and I had gotten married and blended our families. Although I realize that was very selfish on my part, I am thankful for many happy memories that we have from those early "learning" years. I do feel bad for the older kids though, they had it a lot harder than the kids living at home now have. But at least I can admit that, and they have heard me say it too! :)


This past year for our family has also been a year of uncertainty, which I don't think will be changing any time soon. With Mark's employment in Oregon and our family still not living there I have found my looking at my "tomorrows" more frequent than not. I have pretty much put our life here at home on hold while dreaming of our life in Oregon "tomorrow". Not that this past year has been a waste, but it definitely hasn't been a year of progress with a lot of things. I am definitely going to change that now.


I need to heed to the counsel of our dear prophet. In the end of his talk he stated, "Gratitude should be extended to God, as well." "In nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things. Let us follow him. Let us emulate his example. Let us obey his word. By so doing, we give to him the divine gift of gratitude."
I am going to try harder at focussing on today and my family here at home and living with the circumstances we have to deal with today. I hate to have regrets in my life and hope to FIND JOY IN THE JOURNEY - NOW."

4 comments:

Dawna said...

I too loved President Monson's words. What a wise man. I think that too many times we do not stop and "Be Still" as President Hinckley has asked us. How grateful we are that you are part of our family!

Gina said...

That was probably the talk that hit me the most too. I don't know if it is because "Finding Joy in the Journey" has been my motto for the last year or so. That is why it is the title of my blog and I was glad to hear him use that phrase. I, too tend to look towards the future rather than enjoying the stage of life that I am in right now.

We look forward to seeing you next week.

Rencher Fam said...

Hi Lezlie!
I love reading your blog. You always have such a great attitude about everything and its fun to see what is going on with your cute family! When I read the post about your high school friends and saw your cheerleading pic, it took me back to the days when I was little and idolized you! I thought you were so cute and so cool.( I think you still are :) It has been fun to catch up with what you have been doing!
I want to invite you to read my blog. Send your email to me at
blog@rencher.com and I'll make sure to put you on my list of readers. Take care Lezlie!
Jenny (Hobson) Rencher

Nicole said...

I too am a culprit for always looking forward to tomorrow. His talk was a great reminder.