Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

Grandpa and Grandma Turner's graves


Grandpa and Grandma Crump's graves


Uncle Larry's grave


Most Memorial Days our family has been out of town and our kids haven't grown up with the memories that I have of Memorial Day, which were visiting the Bluffdale Cemetery in the morning followed by a big family barbeque. This year since Mark was working in Oregon and it was just me and the kids home, I decided that I would take them to visit my family members graves at the Sandy and Bluffdale cemeteries. I think the kids enjoyed walking around the cemeteries and not only looking at our family headstones, but looking at the various other headstones and being amazed at how old some of them were....they were seeking out the oldest headstone at both cemeteries. We were able to visit the graves of my Dad's twin brother Larry, his twin sisters Betty and Bonnie and his parents (my grandparents) at the Sandy cemetery. At the Bluffdale cemetery we visited the graves of my 3-year old cousin Emily, my Uncle Reed and my mom's parents (my grandparents). This cemetery is my favorite cemetery to visit because the majority of the graves are of relatives of both sides of my family. I even have great grandparents and numerous other distant family members buried there......too many to name all of them. Back in the day, Bluffdale was an extremely small town where both sides of my mom's family lived and even my Dad's family.



After the cemetery we went to Cowley's for a family barbeque and had fun visiting with family and playing games with the cousins.


1 comments:

Kim said...

It is nice when the kids don't have anywhere to go and you can have some good "family time"!