Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fabulous at "40" Girlfriend's Retreat

I just got back from my little vacation with my girlfriends, all of whom are 40-years old (well, 1 who is almost 40...she's the baby of our group). Two years ago at our 20-year reunion for Jordan High School, I got the idea of a girls trip to help celebrate our 20 plus year friendships and also turning the ripe old age of 40. We've had this trip planned all year to The RedRock Hotel and Spa in Summerlin Nevada just outside Las Vegas. What a fabulous 4-day retreat this was. I came away with a smile both on my face and in my heart, wanting to become a better person. What beautiful friends on the inside and out I have! I learned so much wisdom and knowledge from a group of women who are so unique in their individualness and each brining something differen't and special to the plate. It was wonderful to see how much each person has changed and grown over the years and hear of their triumphs and sorrows both. What incredible journey's we have all been on!

During the last day of our retreat, the melody of a song kept coming to my mind but I was having a hard time remembering all the words. After I came home this evening, I found the words and realized why it was that I kept humming this tune in my head:


Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Through words and deeds of those who love.

What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christ-like friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior's name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord above.


This weekend I was fed spiritually, mentally, socially, and I hate to say it, but of course physically (we ate, and ate, and ate, and ate!!!) We shared laughter along with tears and became closer now than we have ever been. How greatful I am for friends and the amazing journey in life we all share as women. Thank you to all of those husbands out there that know and understand the importance of women needing time to be with other women to help buoy each other up and give each other words of encouragement and kudos for the lives we are living and the little lives we are nurturing at home. Thank you for letting us be us!

This is us 22-years ago as cheerleaders for Jordan High School

Oh my gosh!!! Look at our hair!!


Did I say we had grown and matured???


5 comments:

Kris said...

Wow Lel, looks like you guys had an amazing time. It's so nice to have friends to enrich and bless our lives. Way to go for keeping in touch with them.

Dawna said...

Looks like a fun weekend. I wonder what we will come up with for this weekend in the northwest? Can't wait to eat that Fultano's Pizza on Saturday :)

Nicole said...

What a FANTASTIC getaway!! I too was a cheerleader. I am so envious that you still keep in touch with all of your girlfriends from school. I am terrible at it.
P.S. I thought you were going to be in Oregon today??

Elder Caleb Habel said...

40 looks like great fun!

Johnson Family said...

What would we do without friends.